My First Blog

Marketing Me: Sally Filice

This is my first blog of any kind; I am looking forward to learning about the blogging world through this Marketing class with Professor Rob Priewe. 

Everyone likes their name pronounced correctly, and my last name is often mispronounced, the worst being Fi Lice, shudder. It is pronounced very similar to Feliz as in Feliz Navidad but with a 'fleece' sound at the end. The spelling is  Italian, not Hispanic, meaning i and not e after the F.

I am an Accounting Major at Linn-Benton Community College, a fantastic Community College in the Albany area of Oregon. I enjoy doing anything with numbers, such as tax preparation, and now the Accounting world, debits, credits, and when it balances, it is very satisfying. To that end, I want to learn the best way to Market myself when I start looking for a job that fits into my tax/accounting plan. Yes, I did enroll in this class because it is required for the Accounting degree, but I also like learning, and any new information is always helpful.

Before attending Linn-Benton, I worked as a Tax Professional, Oregon Licensed Tax Consultant, and Enrolled Agent. I am keeping my licenses current, so I can return to the workforce doing tax preparation and accounting once I receive my Accounting degree. I enjoy helping people understand taxes and ways to save money through honest tax practices. It is very gratifying to help a person starting in the workforce understand their pay stub, deductions,  Social Security/medicare, YTD info, and what it all means. Also, I enjoy teaching individuals the importance of saving for the future. Even saving a small amount of money each payday for emergencies or unplanned expenses will help. Similarly, I hope to help businesses through accurate and honest accounting practices in the Accounting field.

My outdoor activities involve weed eating and general maintenance around my property, gardening--growing vegetables, canning, or freezing for later use. Pickled Beets are a favorite of mine,  Bread and Butter pickles are very easy to can and make a nice side to a patty melt; yummy, also. Jams and Jellies are always nice to have on hand and share with friends and family. I am always happy to share, but I request my jars be returned to me when empty; praises are not necessary but always welcome.

Although I learned to can food from my mother growing up, I follow Ball's Canning book for all my canning creations. The book has very colorful pictures and easy-to-follow instructions. I didn't plant a veggie garden this year, so I will be anxious to start one next year to enjoy fresh veggies in the summer and canned goodies throughout the winter.

I enjoy travel, before covid anyway.  A couple of my favorites are Australia, the eastern side, and New Zealand, North Island. I want to return to New Zealand to visit the South Island. The first pic was taken in front of the tallest active geyser, over 30 meters, in the Southern Hemisphere, New Zealand, in 2018.



The second pic is at the Hobbiton Movie Set, Lord of the Rings, New Zealand; I didn't see Frodo or Gandalf, bummer. I did raise a pint and have dinner at the Green Dragon after a day of exploring. Fun times.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Listening in Marketing--PUR

Marketing in the News -- Lab-Grown Diamonds